My question is...what thickness 6061-T6 aluminum should I use? The only
reference I have found stated .060 but personally, I think that is way too
thin. I was more inclined to 1/4". What do you guys think? Thanks
>Mark Jones (N886MJ)
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

Sounds rather heavy to me.  I made my speed brake ( 9" X 30") from
1/4" foam with a piece of spruce on the lead edge where the hinge
attaches and a spruce plug in the middle where the actuating arm
attaches.  I used two layers of glass on each side, as I recall, and
removed the foam from the edges and filled with flox.  I drilled many
1/8" holes in the piano hinge and floxed and glassed it to the brake.
I drilled quite a few 3/4" holes in the brake, removed the foam from
the edge of the holes, and floxed there also.

My brake goes down to nearly 90 degrees and I've had it fully
deployed at up to 95 smph indicated with no problem.  I have my
ASI "whitelined" (flap speed) to about 90 mph.  Usually on base
leg I slow to 90 IAS and run the brake full down.  I don't have
an indicator for the brake but I can watch my amp meter and tell
when the brake is full down.  It takes about 7 seconds.  To check
for full down I just move the brake switch to down and if the amp
meter doesn't move the brake is already full down.  Of the 100 or
so landings to date I have yet to land without the brake full down.
It makes for a much more comfortable approach.

The fact that my brake has only one attach point for the pushrod
that deployes it and that is offset from the center by approx 5 or
6 inches should give you some idea of it's strength.  I built a small
ramp of foam and glass on the belly to fare the lead edge of the brake.

Larry Flesner