From: krnet-boun...@mylist.net [mailto:krnet-boun...@mylist.net] On Behalf Of
Stephen Jacobs
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2004 10:04 AM
To: 'KRnet'
Subject: KR> Foam type

Here in my country (Europe) the only available foam for me is Dow blue extruded
Styrofoam.

I am afraid about delaminating

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello Alex

You are getting a good response to your question.  Some of the information will
conflict as each person gives you what they believe is best.  I suspect that
you may be more confused after this then you were before.

I have been using these products for 20 years (30 years for Styroam
/polystyrene)

My contribution

The negative side of blue foam is:

a) Fuel will dissolve stryrofoam.
b) Blue foam releases harmful gases when it burns.

There are solutions to both of the above.

Other than the above I firmly believe that blue styrofom is as good as polyU in
every respect (or better) provided that you understand it and use it to its
best advantage.

Most KR's are built with a "single sided sandwich" using relatively thick
chunks of polyU foam.  Full attention is given to the outer surface and little
attention is given to the inner surface.

Have a look at: http://home.hiwaay.net/%7Elangford/swings.html

The builder makes every effort to remove unwanted (surplus) foam from the inner
surface and then provides a glass skin on the inside - thus a true sandwich
construction.  This builder uses PolyU (no problem in the
USA) but you can do the same with your blue foam and achieve the same results
with a THINNER core material if necessary.

I suspect that Mark L is using material of about 1kg per cubic foot, but you
can use blue foam of double that weight (4lb /cub ft) but cut it to half as
thick - and still be smiling.  You can also cut your foam with a hot wire (I
regularly do) provided that you take every precaution NOT TO BREATH THE SMOKE.

There is a particularly good KR web site where the builder used hotwired blue
foam wing sections (with weight reducing cut-outs) for the wings. I tried to
find this reference for your benefit, but I cannot remember where I saw it -
maybe one of the netters will know and tell us.

In the meantime - have a look at http://www.whisperaircraft.com/ website.  I
think I am correct in saying that all of the work was done with Styrofoam.
Dene Collet (Port Elizabeth SA) is familiar with this project and may have
better information.

Take care and good luck

Steve J
Zambia