The resolution should probably be between 640x480 and 800x600 pixels.
You should save the files in JPEG (.jpg) format. If your software
allows you to select the level of JPEG compression (or quality) start
with medium and see how it looks. You should end up with images then
which will look great on the 'net but use only about 150-250KB each
rather than several MB.

Kris Feldmann