Duncan,
A speed brake is a door that sticks out into the
air-flow and creates a lot of drag helping slow the
plane on landing (hopefully).
KRs are slick little planes and need something to get
the speed down once you're near enough to the ground
to land.
I learned to fly in a C-152 and I assure you there is
no comparison to a KR. None. If you want to pull the
nose on a 152 up you have to PULL on the yoke. In a KR
you THINK about pulling on the stick. One of the early
KR-1 builders said he could fly his plane by moving
his head. I believe him.
That said, LOTS of people have become quite
comfortable flying them and swear by them.
Sounds like you might not be in the US, so it might be
difficult for you to get to the 'Gathering' in
September. I would highly recommend anyone who wants
to know more about KRs to go to the Gathering. You
will get to meet a lot of great people, many of whom
will become your life-long friends. The best way to
find out if the KR is the plane for you, is to get a
ride in one. As soon as you can. Keep looking.
Frank

=====
Frank Ross,
EAA Chapter 35,