Orma wrote:
>It seems that some where in the past I read that temps are
>different at different places on the head.  Is under the plug the hottest
>spot?

Well, I wacked Google on this one
http://www.google.com/search?num=50&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=vw+%22head+temperature+probe%22+&btnG=Search
and came up with this one result, which didn't show what I wanted to show
http://www.greatplainsas.com/bf20032.html

According to them (and some others) the spark plug is not an accurate place
for head temp measurements. When the Mexican Beetles went to fuel
injection, VW added a boss to the heads to provide a known place from which
to measure temperature; that's what I can't find the picture of at the
moment. If I remember correctly, it was near the corner of the valve cover,
about 1-1/2" toward the center of the engine.

Regards,
RonB