I was going to just swage the
>tailwheel cables straight to the rudder cable, with no springs but a little
>slack, as Troy is flying.  He swears by it, saying you need all the
>tailwheel control you can get. .
>Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama

Mark,

I'm using springs on my tailwheel and I'd swear by that.  I guess either
way will work if installed correctly.  I went with the springs so that
any side loads were not transfered directly by hard attachment to
the rudder system.

I attached my tailwheel cables to the rudder cables inside the fuselage
and they exit through thier own fairleads.  My rudder cables are loaded
by springs attached to the firewall.  The tailwheel cables are tensioned
with only enough slack to keep from causing the rudder cables to
go slack from the tailwheel cable attach point to the rudder.

In the 93.5 hours to date I've never discovered any "dead spots" in
ground handling, takeoff, or even high speed rollouts.  I've got good
transition from tailwheel on the ground to tailwheel up and back again.
The amount of peddle needed to stear seems to be the same with
tail up or tail down.  Personally, I'd say the advantage goes to springs.

As always, your results may vary..........

Larry Flesner