From: krnet-boun...@mylist.net [mailto:krnet-boun...@mylist.net]On
Behalf Of Matthew Elder
Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 9:28 AM
To: KRnet
Subject: RE: KR> bolt shear strength / Axle size [long]

Brian,

Actually I think most seat belt bolts are sized for 20g for shear.  Not so
much for flight maneuvers as much as a "hard landing" (aka nose first)...

You can get a good idea of shear strength of any section with the following
formula:
Section area * .577 * tensile strength....

The .577 I know applies to steels, but I'm still looking around to see if it
applies to ductile materials other than steel (aka aluminum).  Anyone that
might know, chime in so I can stop my hunt. (distortion-energy theorem if
you want to look it up)

So for a bolt (round section) you get:
(radius ^ 2) * 3.1415 * .577 * tensile strength

Example:  AN-3 Bolt (3/16in dia)
0.09375^2 * 3.1415 * .577 * 125000psi = 1990 lbs

I used 125000psi because that was the number I got from the Spruce catalog
on the bolt tensile.  It will vary based on the material you use, but all
you have to do is look it up.  Spruce lists that number as "minimum tensile"
so where Wicks got the 2125lb figure, may be that the 125000psi number is
conservative.  I'm sure "AN" bolts aren't all made from the same
materials... There are probably 2 or 3 acceptable ones that they make them
out of, and it would depend on who made them.  Spruce lists 4037 and 8740
with the 8740 being the most used.

Don't forget to add a safety factor and of course you must keep in mind the
amount of shear planes....   Also, you can forget about the bearing area on
the surface you are transferring the load to...   Just make sure you have
enough bearing area to transfer the load without over-stressing the
supporting material.

Matt

Brian Kraut <brian.kr...@engalt.com> wrote:
Thanks Al. You must have the early version of the catalog they had at Sun N
Fun. The newer one they did for Oshkosh has the pages a little different
and I can't find it there. I will dig out my older one.

I guess that 12 Gs on my seat belt bolts is plenty strong enough.

Brian Kraut
Engineering Alternatives, Inc.
www.engalt.com