Derek asks-

>I was wondering if you guys could give me the dirt on VW engines.
>Are they reliable? They are pretty cheap and I am trying to find out
>if this is another "you get what you pay for" type of thing.

Derek, other than the Type IV which is more robust (but more expensive),
you're dealing with an engine that started life at something like 40 HP and
we're asking it to put out at least 50% more than that in most KR setups.  A
few ask even more of the engine than that, but engine life drops pretty
quickly if you take them up higher, run turbo 2180cc setups, etc.

The engine is a very well known, well supported quantity.  Lots of
aftermarket support, parts are available, and the VW has been used in many
homebuilts with good results.  Its weaknesses are also well known.  One of
the weaknesses has been trying to drive a prop off the "wrong" end of the
engine, and there have been conversions for driving off the output end, such
as the unit offered by Great Plains.  Simply put, the engine is reasonably
reliable if you use a known conversion method and don't ask for more than
about 55-60 continuous HP from it, keep it cool, and keep the valve train
adjusted.

Now the Corvair is a different story.  The aero conversion drives the prop
off the power output end as originally intended.  The lifters are hydraulic,
so no periodic valve lash adjustments.  The engine was made to put out up to
180 HP in its high output trim in the car, so we're only asking it to put
out half that in the aero conversion.  But you already know that-?

Oscar Zuniga
San Antonio, TX
mailto: taildr...@hotmail.com
website at http://www.flysquirrel.net