From: KRnet

Date: 11/22/04 18:13:49

To: 'KRnet'

Subject: RE: KR> VW engines

Derek,

I've been flying mine for over 350 hours. Seems to work well for me. I

trust my life, my wife's life, my friends lives and all the lives of the

KR people that have flown with me. I guess I feel it is reliable or I

wouldn't fly behind it. Then again, I fly behind a proven conversion

engine from Steve Bennett at Great Plains. If you ask me about building

one up myself out of a junk yard, then I guess I have already spoken and

said I wouldn't do that. As in all conversions, you can learn a lot from

the people that have gone before you. Perhaps you are an engine mechanic

and can do it yourself. If not, I would suggest following somebody's

conversion. This can be in the way of their manual or it can be in the

way of an complete kit/engine. In the end, don't build up from all junk

parts to save money.

I will digress for a moment. After many years of going to KR Gatherings,

I got to know Dan Diehl. Many years later, I asked Dan why he is so hard

to get to know? He said he had seen too many people die and he didn't

want to become too close to someone that was choosing the "cheap way

out" and then find out they had crashed. It made sense to me. Choose any

engine you would like but whatever you do, don't just choose "cheap."

Jim Faughn

891JF