Sean Caranna <vp2fl...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
I'm at a bit of a cross roads with building my plane. I am planning on
building an aircraft to be powered by a Corvair engine. I originally wanted
to build a VP-2, but it's just not going to be wide enough for me at 6'2"
250lb any my fiancé at 6' tall "if I post weight I could be killed".

I have begun a design of my own, but this will take much longer to build for
a number of reasons outside the topic of this email list. I still plan to
eventually build my own design but I'm just not sure that it should be my
first build.

The more I read about the KR-2S the more it grows on me. However, I have
also read that, like the VP-2, it makes a better fat single seater than a
cruiser for 2 adults. I know that some of you here have widened the KR-2s
and I wanted to know what would be involved in widening it to 44".
Particularly I was concerned with how this modification would affect the
wings. Should I choose to build a KR I will use the AS5048/15 airfoil.

Thanks,

Sean C. Caranna

http://www.wingsforum.com

Hi Sean,

The Kr2s is a great plane to build. I am having the time of my life building
mine. If you want information on widening the fuselage, I suggest going to Mark
Lankfords site and reading what he wrote in his "opinions" section of his web
site. Also search the archives here.

I widened mine by six inches and raised the height by 2 inches. That gives me
an inside width of almost 42 inches, at the shoulders. I don't think that
widening the fuselage is that difficult and it doesn't really cause to many
problems. You really do have to examine the plans, and think ahead. I am not an
engineer. If you build the as504x spar according to Marks outline, he says that
it is stronger than the orginal design. ( I have no reason to doubt him)

Another thing I did was to make the fuselage square ( I eliminated the taper).
That made construction much easier.

Of course ANY modifications you make impact the rest of your building process,
and they might be untested and dangerous. You have to be convinced that what
your doing is safe in your own mind. There are many here that can give great
advice, and the archives are just full of great information and should be
utilized often.

My reasoning is that there are many flying KRs that have been widened with no
overtly adverse effects. So I feel confident that mine will be safe.

There may be greater drag with the wider fuselage, and my plane may be a little
slower because of that, but being more comfortable while flying outweighed that
consideration.

I would encourage you to start.........today!

Ron Smith

KR2S fuselage 95 percent done,

working on the spars,

dreaming, and grinning.