Scott Cable wrote:

> 1.) The heat muff is secured by wrapping safety wire around it?  What
prevents vibration from allowing the heat muff to move around and start
chafing the header?

What keeps it from moving is the fact that it straddles the down pipes
through very tight fitting holes that keep movement to under 1/32", and it's
wrapped tightly around the stainless steel spring.  I clamped it in place
with hose clamps, ran the safety wire around them (and it's trapped in those
same holes), and then removed the clamps.  It's rather tight, and not going
anywhere.  I used safety wire because it's far lighter than hose clamps.  If
it'll make you feel better, I'll wrap three more rounds around it, and run
them through holes to guarantee that they stay put.

> 2.) I noticed what appeared to be platenut holes for the carb mount, yet
you stated in the text (2nd to bottom picture) that you needed to get your
daughter to start the nuts.  In your improved (next) version will you
utilize platenuts?

The reason I didn't use them yet is because the carb is threaded for 1/4-20
studs, so I'll either have to drill out the threads or use 3/16 bolts and
nutplates (which is what I'll do).  Next time it comes off I'll add the
nutplates anyway, now that I know what a pain it is.  That'll be before it
flies.

> 3.) The air filter looks like it needs something to support it in the
center.

I appreciate your concern, but I don't think so.  It's only 3.5" tall, and
supported all the way across the top by an aluminum angle, and has 6 screws
holding the bottom.  I'm not worried about it.

> 4.) Please re-think the emergency air-valve.  Adding it would serve two
functions:
>  a.) emergency air source if both valves are shut.
>  b.) Act as an additional source of cowling air if the heated air from the
muff is inadequate for conditions.

That's why I said I was going to do a slight redesign and allow it to open
automatically, so the engine can't be starved for air.  I assure you that
this heat muff will supply more than enough warm air for any condition that
I will be ever be flying in.

>   Don't use a magnet, but rather a very light helical, torsion spring to
keep the valve closed until it was necessary. If you hinge the emergency air
flapper around the existing ram air valve pivot, you could add an additional
hole to front of the airbox, and at least the emergency air source would be
filtered.

But if I had a hole that was open when the ram air was closed, I'd cut the
effects of my carb heat muff in half, because I'd only pull half as much air
through the heat muff.

> 5.) I was more than a bit suprised not to see the airbox made out of
Carbon Fiber or at least fiberglass.

As I mentioned, the aluminum provides stiff flat surfaces to mount the
valves on, that are not susceptible to deformation when heated.  I may make
a composite one someday, but the valves will be mounted on aluminum planes
for that reason.

Thanks for your comments.

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
see KR2S project N56ML at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford