I too went to the airport to fly
>and all I did was to taxi to the pump, fill em up, and taxi back to the
>hanger. My crosswinds were 90° across 12-15 gusting 18. I decided not to
>chance it thanks to Orma's story.
>Mark Jones

GOOD DECISION - LOW TIME KR PILOT !!!!

The most wind I've flown (landed) my KR in was approx 14 to 16 with
gust in the low to mid 20's at maybe 30 to 40 degrees off runway
heading.  If I had a canvas seat instead of fiberglass, my "pucker
power" would have made it available to wipe my nose !!  A Bonanza
landing behind me made a go-around because of the wind.  My
KR handled it but it sure takes the fun out of flying.  Later in the
day I was landing at another airport with a more direct crosswind
and aborted the landing, flew to a nearby airport with a runway
into the wind, and waited until evening when the wind settled
to fly home.  I would suggest at least 25 hours in your KR before
testing higher crosswinds and then only if you are a 250+ hour
pilot with considerable recent time.  You can "ride out" landings
in Cessnas and Pipers that you won't get away with in KR's.
If you can't land in a crosswind while tracking straight down
the runway, landing on one main wheel, and then roll out
straight,  get an instructor and go practice.  That will certianly
be less expensive than rebuilding your KR and having an
incident or accident on your record.

Larry Flesner