From: Colin & Bev Rainey [mailto:crain...@cfl.rr.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 4:44 AM
To: KRnet
Subject: KR> VW 20 degree

Larry
That engine was originally designed to be a 20 degree V6 so that
manufacturing costs could be significantly reduced by only having to make
one head for a V6.  The idea originated from the Volvo 5 cylinder which is
cut from a block of cast aluminum.  It also simplifies the intake system due
to the centrally mounted plenum and injection rails which was nearly
impossible to get right when using earlier carb systems.  That engine costs
no more to produce than a double overhead cam 4 cyl, but with 6 cyl output.
They may have changed it to 15 degrees to dampen more of the vibrations
associated with either a 4 cyl up and down or V engine rotating mass that is
not matched balanced like a V8 (issues that they have with 90 degree V6 but
don't in 60 degree V6).

Cool design though I don't know how practical for plane due to the need for
computer to make it most effective...

Colin & Beverly Rainey
Apex Lending, Inc.
407-323-6960 (p)