OK Colin I know this one is going to start a flame war but
misinformation is worse than no information. First of all VW has been
putting fuel injection on air-cooled engines since the late sixties or =
early
seventies. A quick Google regarding the Bosch system will tell you all =
you
need to know on the subject so I don't have to waste bandwidth here on =
the
Net. Next mechanical fuel injection has been around long before =
electronic.
Electronic ignition is now being used in Certified engines due to their
proven reliability and less parts to screw up as do mags and =
distributors.
        Next comes the statement FLY SAFE. Sorry but as an Instructor(?) you
of all people should know that flying of any type is NOT safe, it is a
series of calculated risks and risk management. Anyone concerned with =
safety
best turn in their pilot's license and dig an underground bunker to hide
away from the world.=20
        Whether a person flies a spam can or an experimental, the results
are the same it is still risk management and is the pilot in command's
responsibility to decide whether or not to fly. Those airline pilots =
aren't
just out for a stroll to stretch their legs prior to flight. They are
evaluating the aircraft as to whether that aircraft poses an acceptable =
risk
before flight. That is why we all perform preflight and hopefully post
flight checks.
        I could go on and on but by now you and hopefully those that follow
the list will have got the drift. Those Corvair drivers will have =
noticed
that some of what I said sounds vaguely familiar. Yep, William Wynne =
boys.
This list has a lot of ex-military pilots and they can all attest that =
risk
management is a fact of life. What we normally would not do changes as =
the
mission dictates.
        Rather than all this safety talk all builders and flyers should be
more intent on building and flying aircraft that are constructed with =
risk
management as the prime deciding factor before any changes are made or
deviation from specifications.
Doug Rupert

Fuel injection is the cats meow for a combustion engine

FLY SAFE!

Colin & Beverly Rainey
=20

--=20