Doug Rupert wrote:

>>OK Colin I know this one is going to start a flame war but
misinformation is worse than no information. First of all VW has been
putting fuel injection on air-cooled engines since the late sixties or early
seventies. <<

I used to be a "factory" VW mechanic at a dealership, and I have been a VW
head since I was a kid, and I can tell you that those early "electronic" VW
systems are problematic.  If any one of about 25 ground wires falls off, you
start having problems.  I wouldn't fly with one of those if my life depended
on it (and it would).  Bosch CIS is far better (as you said), but it is
bulky and way heavier than a carb. I know, because I've weighed it.  I'd
planned on using CIS myself, and I still may, but it's going to mean a bulge
in the bottom of my cowling, and a weight increase over the lightweight carb
and intake that I now have.   I already have a fuel return line, which I'm
now using as one of my two "completely redundant" fuel systems.

But I'm just not sure it's worth the tradeoff.  I can lean that  Ellison
down just as much as the CIS.  The big advantage would be the elimination of
carb icing,  carb heat and mixture control knobs, and their constant
adjustment.  But the downside is weight, complexity, and having a 75 psi
fuel pressure in the lines. You could start quite a fire in a hurry, and
empty a tank in a hurry, with a ruptured fuel line.  That's all manageable,
and it's a trade, but the trade that made my decision is that I'll be flying
at least a year earlier with that Ellison, than if I "engineered" a CIS
setup, if not more.   Once I get flying, I may reconsider CIS injection.
There's more on this at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/CIS.html ...

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
see KR2S project N56ML at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net