-----Original Message-----
Colin & Bev Rainey
Subject: KR> pressure/volume

>William states several times in his conversion manual that the stock oiling
>system is more >than adequate in the Corvair motor, and that high pressure or
>high volume are not necessary >unless you have long lines to things like
>remote coolers/oil filter relocation kits.

I absolutely agree that if you have stock, stay stock. I do not. I have remote
oil cooler and remote oil filter. This was my reasoning on using the high
volume pump. At the time I built my engine, William did not have the deep oil
pan and all aftermarket ones were simply too heavy to consider. William, some
time ago, made a post called the "Mother of all Oil Post". In this post he
stated that he once added two additional quarts of oil to his engine with a
stock pan and flew it with no problems. I remember reading somewhere that you
can add extra oil as long as the oil does not fill the lower end of the push
rod tubes. Since I do not have a deep pan, maybe I should fill the engine with
oil till it reaches the bottom of the push rod tubes. This is easily done with
the top cover off, then mark the dipstick accordingly. Thoughts???

>I appreciate the recommendations from William about your particular case,
>however a review >of the SAE temp recommendations disagrees with your grade of
>oil.  It shows on the high end >of recommended viscosity. Run what you are
>comfortable with, just pointing this out.

I will study these charts and make the appropriate change. Possibly when he
advised me to run this grade, he was not thinking of our ambient temps.

Thanks,
Mark Jones (N886MJ)
Wales, WI

crain...@cfl.rr.com