Personally speaking Serge I would not sand them as the sanding leaves tiny
scratches that are potential stress fracture points. Use chemical paint
remover and thoroughly rinse with mineral spirits before a final washing
with soap and water. Heating could also ruin the strength properties of the
steel unless one knows exactly what they are doing. My preference would be
to have them powdercoated and forget about corrosion for the life of the
bird.
Doug Rupert
Simcoe Ontario