Just a side note about approaches.

For those advocates of power off approaches, think about this: the reason that
power on approaches have become so popular is not what the big flight schools
would have you believe, that they are teaching airline procedures.  It is
because the FAA did a study of engine failures, and found that those engines
that failed most often were those that were asked to give full power after a
long pattern at idle, where the engine was shock cooled, and then a go around
was attempted. By simply reducing the engine to just above idle, say 1200 to
1500 rpms, the engine was allowed to maintain a more even temperature, and then
go around could be accomplished without "surprising" the engine if you will.
This is also why you should plan power descents, instead of gliding descents,
to maintain a more even engine temp.

When I was first being taught to fly back in 1979 and 1980 (wow that makes me
feel old!) the approach was to teach total power off patterns and approaches in
the Cessna's.  Over the years that changed due to the information gathered I
spoke of.  There are many planes, some of which are Mooneys, Bonanzas, and KRs
that are really designed for power on approaches and behave much better with a
small power setting in the pattern. They can be flown otherwise, but you are
working alot harder. "Food" for thought....

Colin
KSFB