At 12:42 AM 7/9/2005, you wrote:
>Has anyone tried Aspen wood in their aircraft? I searched the archives but
>could find nothing on Aspen. I was looking for Douglas fir at the
>lumberyard and saw some Aspen planks that had a very fine grain (about 18
>lines per inch).
>    I'm not sure of the strength of this wood and wonder if it could be
> used for the uprights between the longerons and maybe the intercostals
> between the

I checked my copy of ANC-18, "Design of Wooden Aircraft Structures" and
mechanical properties of aspen are not listed.  That means that when the
book was published in 1951, aspen was not considered to be an aircraft
grade of wood.  In that reference, there are about 40 different types of
wood where mechanical data is listed.

Don Reid  -  donreid "at" peoplepc.com
Bumpass, Va

Visit my web sites at:

AeroFoil, a 2-D Airfoil Design And Analysis Computer Program:
http://aerofoilengineering.com

KR2XL construction: http://aerofoilengineering.com/KR/KR2XL.htm
Aviation Surplus: http://aerofoilengineering.com/PartsListing/Airparts.htm
EAA Chapter 231: http://eaa231.org