-- larry flesner <fles...@midwest.net> wrote:
At 05:06 AM 7/7/05 +1000, you wrote:
>    Can anyone tell me just what role the glass skin on the fuselage does,
>    And, does anyone have any experience in using longer undercarriage legs
>than shown on the plans,
>chris johnston

I have no glass over the plywood skin on my KR.  Just primer and paint.  I do
get the occasional crack from the plywood grain splitting.  If I was doing it
over again, I would paint the fuselage with a single coat of thinned epoxy to
seal it better, but still wouldn't add the weight of glass cloth.  The wood
itself makes a fine composite finish that shouldn't be prone to cracking after
it absorbs a little bit of resin into the surface.

As Larry said, he and I both have the longer Diehl gear legs, although Dan
won't sell them that length anymore.  His concern is for the leverage on the
aluminum castings in the wing as he didn't do any drop testing with the longer
legs.  I haven't seen any problems after 500+ hours and ~1000 landings, some of
which were more of the style of "beat the plane on the ground repeatedly until
it quits flying." ;o)  I use a 68" diameter prop and haven't had any ground
clearance issues (i.e., the prop is still intact.)

Jeff Scott