OK, So I may not supply quite enough info for a complete evaluation but, I am
going to try and get your alls advise.

Yesterday when I went to rotate to take off, just at or before the nose gear
lifted, I felt a pretty significant shimmy in the nose gear. The nose came up
and the airplane lifted off. I decided to pull the power and set back down. I
pulled the power, let the plane sit back down and upon the nose gear touch
down, the shimmy came back but much worse. I was actually wondering if it was
the nose wheel or something significantly out of balance with the engine.
I never really looked at the air speed indicator but I looked at the tach and
noticed that I still had 2200 RPM and was having a difficult time getting the
RPM's to come down. I have the vernier ( screw in and out ) type throttle so I
began back screwing the throttle. Everything finally slowed down and I taxied
off and back to my hanger.

Upon inspection of the nose wheel it appears that the bolt that appears to hold
the little coil spring posts centered, has bent. Or maybe it was bent before I
started. I also want to point out that the free castering nose wheel self
centers when you lift up on the front end, a test I was told indicates that you
have the right tension and such on the nose wheel. In testing a couple of them
at the gathering, I noticed they did not self center and those owners indicated
they had no shimmy issues. By the way that information was not meant as any
criticism of anyone else's KR. I just wanted to compare my nose gear adjustment
to others while there.

Here is my question. Did I let the nose gear touch down with to much speed thus
precipitating the shimmy? Did I do a poor preflight and this centering bolt was
already bent ( Slightly, spring still looks to still be contained ) ?

Is it possible that I let the plane stay planted to long and had to mush speed
before I pulled the nose wheel come up? Thus precipitated the whole thing.
Maybe I need to look at the nose gear at the point of the engine mount / fire
wall?

Your thoughts experiences?

Jeff York
KR-2 Flying
N839BG
Home page  http//:web.qx.net/jeffyork40/
My KR-2       http://web.qx.net/jeffyork40/Airplane/   to see my KR-2
Email             jeffyor...@qx.net