>  Then I noticed the
>VASI and that I was seeing all red. I was 1.5 miles out and 500'. There goes
>the heart again...beating pretty hard.
>Mark Jones

Most pilots tend to make lower approaches at night.  Keep a close
eye on the altimeter on night approaches even when you have
VASI on the field.  Know what altitude you intend to be at on each
leg of a standard pattern and then fly the numbers.

Another clue to watch for is any "flickering" of the lights on the approach
end of the runway.  If you are low you may have a tree between you and
the end of the runway that is moving with the wind.   I once made a
night landing and noticed the lights going on and off.  I knew I had
trees on the approach but I also knew that I was high enough to clear
them.  I intentionally landed a bit long and as I passed over the approach
end of the runway, my landing light showed five or six deer grazing at the
runway edge.  They had been walking back and forth in front of the lights
causing them appear like they were flickering.  If any runway light makes
even a single blink it is cause for concern.

Your post prompts me to share a poem I wrote after a night flight a few
years back.  I can't make an attachment so I'll include it after my signature
for those that are interested.

Ain't night flying great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry Flesner

NIGHT FLIGHT

On a cool winter evening the sun pauses on the horizon,
its duties of the day are done.
It will soon disappear and the world will be hidden in the black of night.
         The creatures of the day will have their rest and slumber.

My man-made wings lift me into a disappearing sky
         as darkness swallows up the earth below.
A world of lights appear, illuminating paths for those
unwilling to surrender to the powers of the night.

I see trails that tiny creatures use to travel from place to place,
ant-like in their lighted chariots.
Trails that weave like ribbons dropped carelessly from a package to
the floor below.
I sense the presence of Gods, unseen, finding humor in their efforts.

A tiny symbol moves slowly across the screen of the
small magic box placed conveniently at my finger tips.
It records my journey through the darkness, to the destination
of my choosing, giving me direction across the featureless landscape.

Lights, everywhere there are lights, confusing my senses.
I feel as though I'm floating through the Milky Way.
The constant motion of the tiny symbol is my only
evidence of reality.

         The greatest beauties in life are too often enjoyed in solitude.
                 My wish, to capture this moment and share it with
the world, denied.
         I can only later speak, as a prophet with a vision, telling others
of the beauty that I saw.

         The magic box, unhindered by the darkness, counts down the time
I have remaining in this bird-like state.
I guide my magic carpet on a slow decent through the darkness,
merging time and place into a known reality.

Then, once again, I'm bound in the microscopic world
of fences and stop signs and
I can only wonder if other earth bound souls were with me,
in their own solitude, enjoying the beauty of the night.

   2/14/2002  Larry Flesner