From: "Colin Rainey" <brokerpilot9...@earthlink.net>
To: <kr...@mylist.net>
Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2005 10:20 PM
Subject: KR> Check list usage

> I went to the Corvair College on Friday and met with Jack Cooper, Mark
Langford, Bill Clapp, his friend (sorry forgot the name), and later saw Bob
Lester who is doing much better, though in his words alittle shorter, Glenda
McElwee, and the hangar gang.  While there I talked to alot of prospective
builders about the assembly, and merits of some of the new design features
compared to older stuff, and had several discussions about flying and flight
skills, specifically concerning the KR. Here are some thoughts, prompted by
Mark Jones' post of his flight:

> First off, I have posted a 2 simple checklists, one for "normal" flight,
and one for emergency flight, on Dan Heath's web page. If you don't use
them, make some of your own, but PLEASE use ONE!  It is a proven fact that
our mental capacity deteriorates rapidly with the stress of something going
wrong.  Checklists are so that you can focus on just flying the plane and
not have to rely on memory for troubleshooting, or proper response to a
given problem.  Laminate them, and keep them IN THE PLANE at all times.  It
is regulatory for certified planes to have their operating manual in the
aircraft during each flight. Part of your preflight includes checking for
this manual and the airworthiness certificate, and registration.

> Second, once you have the checklists, get in your plane and practice using
them, ON THE GROUND. We in teaching call it chair flying.  Pretend you are
going out to fly and rehearse EVERY procedure, no matter how well you know
it. You will check the accuracy of your checklists, and you will begin
developing a routine that will save your life.  If you find that something
has been omitted from your emergency or normal checklist, then don't fly
until you correct your checklist.  The Private Pilot Practical Test Standard
has a section right in the beginning that discusses how the test is to be
conducted, and one thing it mentions specifically is checklist usage.  Not
using a checklist to confirm that the pilot has performed the procedure
correctly is grounds for a Notice of Dissatisfaction from the Examiner.
Knowing this, I KNOW all the KR drivers out there had instruction in
checklist usage, and its importance.  DON"T FLY DIFFERENTLY just because you
are in your plane, or no one is with you to critique you, or your confidence
says you know the plane well.  2 commercial pilots with combined airline
experience of over 20,000 hours died from running OUT OF FUEL, because
neither checked the wing tanks, and assumed that maintenance had filled them
up before returning the plane.  Lots of experience does not mean correct
procedures are being followed.

> Do this BEFORE flying and you will be able to relax while in the air,
because you know that your habits and procedures will guide you through
anything you are confronted with....