Wow! I never expected such a debate on what I thought was a simple
question!

OK, let me explain what I am up to.

I am trying to order replacement screws for my Zenith/Stromberg carburetor
(so, Larry, you may stop worrying about me: it IS non-structural indeed).
Now, the bottom part of the carb is secured with long, thin machine
screws, which are of a diameter of roughly 3.2mm, if I remember well.

Obviously, to order that, I needed to identify the screw size correctly
(remember, I live in Europe, so non-Metric things must be ordered from the
US by mail order, and the order must be right first time, otherwise...I'm
screwed!).

With metric screws, this would be a non-issue: take a caliper, measure the
diameter in millimeters, period. But US machine screws seem to have
obscure names, like  MS35206-203, and even more obscure size names, like
2-56 or 8-32. So, I was definitely lost. And yes, before I asked, I did
check in Tony Bingelis's books, and also the AC-4313 1A, even in the
Jeppesen sheet metal course, and the Internet too. Lots of data on AN
stuff, but I could not find any explanation on the machine screws
measurement system.

Now, I then noticed that the smallest AN bolt size is also defined the
same way (10-32). Hence my question: what do the two figures mean, so that
I can understand what is what in the Imperial system, and make sure I
order the right stuff.

I am now pretty sure the correct size will be 8-32.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Now, for fellow non-US builders who are also lost in translation, I
compiled a Microsoft Excel table of the AN hardware sizes which gives
Metric measurements. Anybody interested, just shoot.

Serge Vidal
KR2 "Kilimanjaro Cloud"
Paris, France