At 04:18 AM 12/7/05, Serge wrote:

>Obviously, to order that, I needed to identify the screw size correctly
>(remember, I live in Europe, so non-Metric things must be ordered from the
>US by mail order, and the order must be right first time, otherwise...I'm
>screwed!).

One resource for technical details for US screws (mostly not
_Aircraft_ screws) is
http://www.mcmaster.com/

If you do a search for "screws", the first item to come up will be
the selection list, with an astonishing array of types. Once you get
down to a specific type, the catalog pages will usually have
technical details for them.

For an example of mind-numbing detail, here is what comes up for a
drilled fillister head machine screw, 8/32:
Part Number: 90350A265   $12.38 per Pack of 10
FED Specification               Fed. Spec. FF-S-92
MIL Specification               MIL 35275
Head Style                      Drilled Fillister
Material Type                   Stainless Steel
Finish                          Plain
Stainless Steel Type            18-8 Stainless Steel
MIL 35275 Dash #                243
Drive Style                     Slotted
System of Measurement   Inch
Thread Size                     #8-32
Length                          3/8"
Decimal Size                    .164"
Head Diameter                   .270"
Head Height                     .156"
Hole Size                       .048"
Thread Point Style              Machine
Specifications Met              Federal Specifications (FED) and
Military Specifications (MIL)
Rockwell Hardness               B85-B95
Minimum Tensile Strength        80,000 psi

along with a technical drawing.

Regards,
RonB