Steve,

Besides getting the "fat" ultralights registered and certified, and then
pushing their pilots to become more knowledgeable and skillful pilots,  the
important advantage of the Sport Pilot rating for those who have or have had
medical problems, is to be able to continue to fly without taking several
thousand dollars of medical tests every year to prove their physical
condition for flying.

I disagree on your other point though.    Saying a plane is "high
performance" is relative and needs a definition.  Getting a PPL certainly
doesn't automatically ensure your flying success with any aircraft.  I
believe the KR is NOT "too hot to handle" for the average pilot and
shouldn't be for the properly trained Sport Pilot.  I hope no one would shy
away from a KR thinking it is a "high" performance airplane that takes
extra-sharp flying skills and lots of flying experience.  Flying a KR IS
different (but certainly not more difficult) than driving a Piper Cherokee
around, if you have a tailwheel endorsement for those KRs having the
nosewheel on the wrong end.  I can attest to that.  A KR driver would have
similar experience (maybe even have a little more difficult time) hopping in
an ultra-light type aircraft and flying for the first time.  Didn't Ken Rand
have only a couple hundred hours before the first flight in his KR-1
prototype?

Ed

Ed Janssen
mailto:ejans...@chipsnet.com