I would think that harmonic RPM could "almost" be eliminated as a cause
except in combination with a prop extention or out of balance prop/ spinner
ect.. Simply because the crank problems only started when they were put in
KRs. I would suspect that the same harmonic ranges that would be of concern
would have alreardy been observed in all those aircraft which had corvairs
in the past. So what makes KRs different?? I think a hard look has to be in
the direction of prop extentions and in the way  KR pilots fly them compared
to the way others fly  corvair aircraft.   Are KRs the only group that will
sometimes fly WOT or screem across the runway and yank back on the stick and
pull 4 plus Gs. I'm sure other corvair aircaft have done the same thing but
at what speed and what weight? I would think that as speed and mass
increase, other forces which may adversely affect the crank may also
increase during any change in direction of  mass or speed.   I think Wiliam
Wayne addresed this in the conversion manual as being hard on the crank.
Something to do with angular displacement? How about a hard 5 G landing ,
what kind off affect does this have on a crank? Please don't take any
offense to what I have to say. I'm not an engineer nor have I flown a KR.
It's just me asking questions and thinking out loud.
I will also nitrate my crank just for a little added safty.

Mike Turner
Jackson Missouri

Swing the prop and light the fire, dance amoung the stars.........N642MC