There are low-time spam-can pilots who have flown a KR without any previous
time in a KR and I applaud them. I had the same experience that Steve Eberhardt
did when I flew with Marty Roberts - I made an extreme effort to hold my hand
very still and the plane either went nose UP or nose DOWN. Steve was an avid
regular on KRnet until then and he quickly decided to build an RV. I believe
he's still on KRnet. At the time almost no one except Marty was offering even
as much as a ride in a KR and I felt very lucky to get one quick ride in
Marty's plane, so the question of "dual" in a KR was out of the question.
  I flew a Vans RV-4 with no problems and found it a very easy plane to keep
straight and level and also very responsive.  A low-time pilot who has only
flown Cessnas or Pipers is extremely ill-advised to get into a KR alone and try
to fly it. Bill Gaudlip (who built and sold Jeff York's KR) found, the
"high-speed taxi" can turn into an inverted take-off and landing pretty quick.
He was lucky to have gotten out with minor injuries and a plane he could
re-build and sell.
Susan Rand told me a few years ago at Sun-N-Fun that she often flew with Ken
when she was  very small. Years later when she took flying lessons in a Cessna
she thought the controls were broken because nothing happened when she tried to
move them. The instructor laughed and said that was because she wasn't pushing
on them. She had thought it would be like the KR where you barely pressed and
got a real change in the plane.
  I believe Bill Reentz when he writes about flying his KR-1 by moving his head
in the direction he wanted to go.
  Obviously Ken Rand had no chance to get some time in a KR before he flew his.
Lots of others have done it too, and maybe you'll be one of them.
  You will have a lot more fun on that first flight in your KR if you've spent
a lot of time flying in a KR with someone who knows how to fly one.
  And, by-the-way, good luck getting names of EAA tech advisors who know
anything about KRs or especially have ever even SAT in one, much less feel
confident to fly one. Your best chance for either is right here on KRnet.
  On those last two points, I do not think your results will vary much.
  Frank Ross

  w-z...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
    If you need to find someone to get some dual in type or similar contact the
EAA. They have a listing of flight technical advisors that should be able
to help you out. As far as getting similar training flying a rv and doing
no flap approaches would help. It's my opinion and the opinion of some very

Bill Zink Columbus, OH

Frank Ross,
EAA Chapter 35,
San Geronimo, TX