3343V wrote:

>If it wasn't the middle of the night I would have dropped 40
>flaps and flew backwards for a while ;)

Many years ago, when I was first getting my private license, my
instructor and I went flying on a very windy day. While up in the air,
he asked if I had ever flown backwards. I said I hadn't, so he had me
point the nose into the wind, pull the power back, and put out full
flaps. We slowed to near zero, and then he had me pull a bit more power
off. We flew backwards for a bit, probably only a few seconds, but it
seemed longer. The stall horn bleeped a few times, but it sure impressed
me that airspeed and ground speed are NOT the same thing.

--

73,
David, kb0zke