At 07:59 PM 4/10/2006, you wrote:
>In fact,
>the micro should always still be wet on any lay up where micro is used.
>
>Mark Jones (N886MJ)

I know we beat this horse to death a few years back but I must
respectfully disagree with Mark's statement when he uses the
word "always".  There is a lay up technique called "hard shelling"
that I used on most of my glass over foam lay ups. I used this
technique on both wings, top and bottom.  The advantage was
that I could complete the lay up one step at a time and not be
rushed.  When covering that much area, as a one person
operation, it makes a big difference.

The process went something like this.  I sanded the foam and
then vacuumed off the dust.  I made up my micro / epoxy mix
and applied to the foam, removing as much as possible after
spreading.  I allowed this to cure creating a "hard shell" on the
top surface of the foam.  When cured I brushed the surface once
or twice with a sanding block to remove any "prickles" that tend
to snag the glass when moving the glass on the foam before
wetting out.  I then did the glass wet lay up and covered that with
one layer of "deck cloth" while the lay up was still wet.  The deck
cloth draws most of the resin needed for wetting from the glass
layer below when dry brushed on the top.  Add what little epoxy
is needed to wet out the deck cloth in the dry areas.

The debate between the two processes is usually over which
one gives the best bond between the foam and glass.  Consider
the following and then do a test of your own.

The purpose of using "micro slurry" on the foam is to fill the top
surface of the foam with something lighter than the pure epoxy
used in the lay up.  The failure point of the bond will always be
at the bottom edge of the penetration level of whatever method
you use, be it pure epoxy, micro slurry still wet, or the hard shell
method.  The bond between the pure epoxy in the glass lay up
and the hard shell is many times stronger than the foam it is
bonded to.  After 206 hours on my KR, I'm convinced the process
works.

To convince yourself, try the following.  Use three pieces of foam
and do a glass lay up using pure epoxy, micro slurry still wet, and
third, the hard shell method.  After the three lay ups are cured,
peel the glass off the foam.  You will find the same
amount of foam on the bottom side of the glass removed from
each of the three pieces.  You may even find a bit less on the
lay up using pure epoxy depending on just how "wet" you did
the glass lay up.  I think that is the case because you are getting
better penetration when you force the micro mixture into the foam
when you squeegee it on than when you just add pure epoxy to
the glass overlay.  As always , your results may vary.

Something tells me the net will be smoking for a couple of
days. :-)

Larry Flesner