An elderly gentleman friend of mine needed his recently restored
Aeronca Chief moved from a grass strip to the local airport.
The only person that had flown it since the restoration was not
available so he asked me if I would help him out.  As I seldom
turn down a possible adventure I agreed to move it for him.

The only favorable winds for the whole weekend was yesterday
morning early.  We arrived at the strip at 6:45AM and rolled it out
of the hangar.  A two minute briefing and preflight had him in the
cockpit and me giving it a hand prop.  It started on the first pull
and we switched places.  I added power and headed for the
runway.  The first 90 degree right turn to the runway should have
given me a clue as to the adventure that lay ahead.  The right
turn continued an additional 45 degrees before I could stop it
with the weak left mechanical brake.  I added power and got it
back on the runway and taxied to the end.  A quick mag check
and I was rolling for takeoff.  I had considered doing some fast
taxi tests but it was rolling straight and before I knew it I was flying.
At about 100 feet altitude I glanced at the airspeed indicator and
it was pegged on 60 mph indicated.  It felt good so I held that
and continued to climb out.  A 180 degree turn at about 500 feet
and I was headed off to the airport with a 30 mph tailwind.

A 15 minute flight and I was on right downwind to runway 20, an 8000
foot by 150 runway.  I was having to hold about a 30 degree crab
to fly downwind but I knew the ground wind was 210 at 8 so I wasn't
too concerned.  60mph felt good on climb out so I used that for my
final approach speed.  With the headwind on landing it seemed I
was barely above walking speed when the mains kissed the pavement
and started to roll.  It took me a moment to realize I was down.
A few seconds later and the nose started to drift right. Some left
rudder brought it back but then it continued left.  Some right rudder
stopped that and it began drifting back to the right.  At that point I
was slowed to about 20mph and the nose continued to the right.  The
weak left brake came back in to play as the nose continued to the
right.  When the nose had gone about 45 degrees past runway center
I knew I was just along for the ride.  Full left rudder and brake had
absolutely no effect.  At about that time I realized I was switching
pilot groups from "those that will" to "those that had".   I caught myself
leaning as far to the inside of the turn as possible like that was going
to help.  It came to a stop at the 270 degree point with the nose pointed
back to the runway.  I added power and got back to the runway center
and taxied to the ramp.  I lucked out as no runway lights were close
and no damage done to the airplane.  It was just a nice little dance
step to finish out the flight, much like a dancer jumping in the air
and clicking his heels on stage exit.

One thing I learned from flying the Chief is that my KR is a real
pussycat when it comes to ground handling.  At 200+ hours in
the KR I have never had a time when I felt the airplane was out
of control or when it failed to respond to a control input.  I'm
hoping to get "one more dance" with the Chief before he sells
it and next time I intend to "lead" and let the Chief "follow".

Happy Easter to all those celebrating the holiday.

Larry Flesner