Ron:

You have it about right on fuel economy and unfortunately there are to few
diesel a/c engines available as they are a challenge for weight reasons.  A
diesel would be great as you can run #6 fuel oil or "Jet A" in one.  That is
what the military has done for logistics reasons as all their aircraft and
ground vehicles run the same fuel!

Don