Here goes the spoon feed ?Don?t use it?.

 As I?m working on blue prints for the KRSuper1, and getting my outside
research done. I am settled on one huge taboo of the aviation community. This
bad boy is going to be tuned and built to run primarily on ethanol.

?But Cessna and the big aviation companies says it?s horrible.? Hold on and let
me get some hand on acknowledge your way.

Dr. Maxwell Schauck has been flying on ethanol since the 1980?s, and flew
across the Atlantic in his Velocity back in 1989. While I was attending his
program at Baylor University I got to participate in his research for 4 years.
In that four years I came to find out a few things.

1. Ethanol is a superior fuel to 100LL.
2. Oil companies will do everything to keep it out of mainstream use
3. Ethanol has a natural octane of 113
4. Ethanol burns cooler, and will run smooth at 50 degrees past peak EGT
5. If you add water, you get a horsepower boost, AND you don?t have to worry
about it damaging your engine
6. Ethanol reduces engine vibrations by 50%.
7. Ethanol doesn?t react with oil in the same manor as 100ll or mogas
8. Ethanol will eat aluminum and natural rubber. Easily combated by anodizing
and using Teflon
9. If an engine is tuned to ethanol vs. 100LL, you get a significant horsepower
boost with minimal GPH increase.

This is all based on my personal experience working on our departments Pitts
S2B, Cessna 152, Cessna 172, Velocity, Piper Aztec, and Max Performance
Research aircraft prototype. We averaged a horsepower increase of roughly
30-35% increase with ethanol vs. avgas, with no changes to the mechanical
tuning on the engine. To the point we had to order custom props for all our
aircraft, due to engine overspeed with the standard propellers. (The Pitts S2B
ran 300HP on 100LL and 350HP on ethanol).

We also did water in fuel testing for the FAA while getting our Cessna?s STCs
updated (yes, Dr. Schauck owns the STCs for 152s and 172s to be flown on 100%
ethanol in utility category). We were able to add 10% water to the fuel tanks
before reaching peak EGTs. Had we tuned the engine this percentage would have
gone up.

So why am I sharing; I plan on building the first KR that is designed to fly on
ethanol. And foreseeing the usual arguments I figured I would head off most
prior to having to repeat.

So a Corvair with 100HP should obtain 130HP simply by tuning to run on the 113
Octane ethanol. But we shall see when we get to that part of my build.

What are your thoughts on the matter?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10