G'day James.

I am actively investigating installing a BMW engine in my KR in place of
the Jabiru 2200 I was considering and the Revmaster 2100 I have now.

The BMW Boxer Engine, basically the R1100S, R1200 & R1250 are available
with custom gearboxes from Take-Off in Germany, designed to replace the
standard motorcycle gearbox and provide a variety of reduction ratios
and the choice of high or low thrust lines. They also come complete with
prop flanges and a centrifugal clutch that cuts in around 2700 RPM and
makes starting simpler.

Claimed fuel burn ranges from 7 (Optimistic I think, from a builder's
site) to 11 to 14LPH, this being for the R1100 engine, and installed
weight is 155lbs, again for the R1100, although the R1200 is about 8lbs
lighter, and models from 12/2002 have duel ignition so it compares
favourable with the Jab, and more power, fuel injection, full electronic
ignition and monitoring and the ability to run on standard unleaded
fuel.

A company in the UK sells brand-new engines from
$6,500EUR-$10,940AUD-$8,330 and the gearbox from $1430EUR - $2,400AUD -
$3,150USD. If you want to go direct through the manufacturer in Germany,
you can save around $300EUR on the engine or around 50-100 on the
gearbox.

If you want to source an engine yourself, you can do so, as the gearbox
is essentially universal with only minor bolt pattern variations. You
may be able to save a significant sum of money doing this if you buy a
good running bike as you can sell the bike gearbox, frame, wheels
etc....

The BMW engine is flying in 64 aircraft throughout Europe and a B2X
cherry builder has given a good insight into installing one. His site is
listed below, with a couple of others I have come across.

http://www.microlightsport.co.uk/Catalogue/bmwengine.htm
The British company marketing the BMW engine and gearbox.
http://www.takeoff-ul.de/ (Site is in GERMAN - go to freetranslation.com
to manually translate it.)
The manufacturer of the gearbox assembly
http://www.spang-air.de/willkommen/BMW_Engine/hauptteil_bmw_engine.html
The Cherry Builder

At this stage, I am going to put a new prop on my Revmaster and fly the
remaining 300 hours off it till its TBO then pull it in favour of a new
donk, at this stage, very possibly a BMW...

If anyone has any other Q's I may be able to help, I sent an email to
the British company the other day with some questions of my own...

Cheers,
Rob.

Robin Wills
Second Person, Pacific National