Ray Goree wrote:

>         I think I will have to replace one or more gears , which will
> require
>        that. But, I would like to take a look  first.

Keep in mind that if you have to remove that prop hub with the crank removed
from the engine, you have very little to hang onto while you're trying to
pull it.  There's something to be said for at least loosening the bolt
first.  I don't know what kind of hub you have, but I've heard some wild
tales about what happens when a tapered hub finally comes flying off.  Of
course having the thing mounted in a big vise and getting it off with a
chatter gun may work too, but personally, I'd hope for Steve Bennett to
comment, or at least somebody that's done it before.  You can take a VW
engine apart with the flywheel still fastened to the crank, but good luck
getting the flywheel off of it, considering the 217 ft-lb torque on the
bolt!  It can be done, but it's a lot easier if you do it before
diassembling the engine...

Mark Langford, Harvest, AL
see homebuilt airplane at http://www.N56ML.com
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net