Bryce:

My suspicion is that it is likely not possible because of  the compression
ratios and torque output involved.  If you recall VW did this with the
"Rabbit" engine and had good success.  However when detroit attempted
similar conversions they failed miserably and they are no longer built
because they cost them a ton of money.

VW is the only one that had any level of success with converting a basic
gas engine but even they do not do it any more so I think it best to stick
with a diesel designed that way from the ground up.

Don