I practiced (and could have completed) one of these landback things
yesterday.  Keep in mind though that my plane climbs pretty good with the
Corvair (another benefit).  I wasn't sure of the altitude, but went back and
checked EIS data for the altitude at which I chopped the throttle (on
crosswind), and I was at 1420 feet, having just left the 910' runway at FYM
(at least the EIS thinks that, since I always leave the barametric pressure
set to 29.92), so I pulled that off at 510'.  I'd have made it back,
touching down about midfield of the 5000' runway going the wrong way.  In
retrospect, I was too high and should have done more than a 270 and slipped
it in to get further up the runway.  I goosed it again at 990', so I was
only 80' off the ground, so I know I could have made it.  But then I have
split flaps which act as a pretty good speed brake too.  So some of that
extra weight I'm carrying around may pay dividends someday....

Mark Langford, Huntsville, Alabama
see KR2S project N56ML at http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net