Us glider pilots practice rope breaks from 200'.  I was pretty surprised the
first time my instructor pulled the release at exactly 200' altitude just
off the end of the runway and over a 50' tree line.  He told me that we were
going to do simulated rope breaks and I expected him to just say the rope
broke and expect me to recite what I would do, wrong!  Anyway, the point is
that in gliders we can normally turn back at about 150' or so and we
actually practice at 200'.

There are a few things we learn that will help power pilots in the same
situation.  First is have a plan before you take off.  Know what altitude
you will go straight and when you will do a 180, or a 90 or something if you
can do it at your airport.  Before takeoff we check the windsock and see
which direction the crosswind is coming from so we know what direction we
will turn if we need to.  You want to turn into the cross wind if there is
one.  That will blow you closer to the centerline of the runway during the
turn.  If you turn the other way you will be blown further away from the
runway and will have to do something like a 200 degree turn to get back to
the runway then turn again to line up when you get there.  Next thing is to
say straight ahead, straight ahead just after taking off and then state your
decision height out loud when you reach it.  That helps throw the mental
switch so when you do have a problem you don't have to stop and think and
check the altimiter.  You have already done that.

Brian Kraut
Engineering Alternatives, Inc.
www.engalt.com