Dist:

While waiting for the next step on my Fwd deck fglassing operation I hae started
another attempt to figure out how to make my cowl header tank.

I have obtained (2) 8 in. dia. x 2 in. thk. foam disk and a piece of  22 in. x
28 in. pc. plastic material that they have for making  custom dry erase boards.
I have made that in to an 8 in. ID cylinder 18 in. long and  secured it to the
foam disk wit a 2 in wide plastic Tape tape from Big lots.  After that I  used
(2) spiral lead tape wraps, (1) each hand to hold the cylinder to brevent
uncoiling.  This will be my mold.

What should I coat the outside with as a mold release?

I was cosidering mounting the mold on its longotudinal axis and turning it
carefully while pouring molton parafin wax over its surface until fully coated.
After it was coated I was goin to mount a straight edge to use as a scraper and
thenrotate the mold and apply heat with a heat gun to scrape the wax down to a
uniform thickness.

Next when the wax was fully cooled I would apply a "Gel Coat" using the scrapper
set up that I used for the wax to get a uniform distribution of the coat. (more
or less). Then when that had nearly cured I would take and apply a non-woven
fiber glass mat thouroghly wetted out.  Following that would be another lawer of
woven fiberglass.

I have looked on the Kr-List and Kieth Eberhard in his discussions of mold
making mentions using "Red Pigment" and adding "Cabosil" 10% by volume to epoxy
used instead of  fiber glass resin for making Molds but this will be the tank
itself.  (see below from the internet list)

My intent would be to fonish with a cylender of about 8 inche ID of sufficient
length to make into a header tank of not less then 3 gallons but not more than
3-1/2 Gallon.  After the Filler neck, tank transfer lines that return to
transfer pump suction  Engine feed line with finger strainer and sight glass
connection to the tank were made the I would close the tank ends with fibergas
sandwich ends and leak test.  I may consider usinm a Gems fload swich system to
start and stop the fuel pump rather than have the continuous over flow back to
pump suction.  The idea for the continuous pump operation is that I would have a
visual that the main tanks had gone dry by when the header tank level began to
fall tha that could serve as a warning that I had to get the bird on the ground
and would still have plenty of time to get the job done.

Can anyone advise or even blow what I am trying to do full of holes?  This is a
stage where we can easily fix ill cocieved notions.

Thanks in advance.

Don Lively
Burlington IA 52601