There have been more crank failures in Continentals/Lycomings than any  other
aircraft engines - but they have also gone through much more in testing  and
many thousands of engines flying.   Many Broken VW cranks have  never been
documented or tested - just replaced and gone on...There have been  changes and
upgrades in VW cranks - I know because I bought a 980.00 crank for  my 2180
turbo back in 1991...(And I heard of many of those breaking).   There have been
three document broken cranks on Corvair aricraft and a couple  found cracked.
There have also been thousands of hours of no  problems on Corvair cranks.
The solution to all broken crank issues  (no matter the engine) is to find the
limits and to stay within them or modify  the crank.  Cast cranks may work on
a 1600 - but not a 2180 - a forged may  work on a 2180 but not a 3000.   A
forged / nitrided may work on a  3000...you get the picture.  This is
experimental aviation and there are  risks as always.  The name of the game is
to reduce
the risks as much as  possible and achieve your goals.   I could have used an
O200 but been  outside of my expense goals...A corvair is easily inside my
expense  goals and the added perormance reduces my risk factor - but I do have
to nitride  the crank (150.00) .  The Vw was also close to expense goals but
not within performance goals and to make a VW perform like a corvair is too
expensive.  (Check pricing of new 3000 from Revemaster)    The VW engine works
well in the 60 - 70 HP range but I am not comfortable with  stressing one out
past that (not intended for that output)  The Corvair was  designed to handle
180 Hp and I run it at 100 - less stress on all parts  overall.

    Plus, I just love the sound of my mini Merlin  sound.....have you ever
heard a corvair fly overhead at  180+  ?    I finally heard Mark Langfords (I
never hear  mine) and it sends chills down your spine...makes you want to go
flying....
Build and fly safe all.....
Well...time for bed

Bill and N41768