Jim Ferris wrote:

> Designed for 180 HP and runing at 100 Hp is why it will run longer than a
> VW, rotax, cont. or Jab  in the final analynis.

And contrast that with the VW, which was designed for 46 hp (the most recent
fuel injected engines were 60 SAE HP, but they used the "same" case), and we
are asking it to put out 70-80 hp continuously, and then taking that power
out of the engine through the "pulley" end of the engine, which was designed
to power only the fan and generator.  As Bill mentioned, VW crankshafts have
evolved to a point that greatly improves their reliability, but they still
break cranks, and the engine cases still have longevity problems.  Standard
VW rebuild practice is to inspect the crank bore in the case for fretting,
and often they are "line bored" and oversize crank bearings are used to
bring them back to a useable condition.  Corvair cases are so strong that
there is no such procedure, because that problem is virtually non-existent.

Mark Langford, Harvest, AL
see homebuilt airplane at http://www.N56ML.com
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net