Hey Dan
I just mean for you to take a quick look at the actual flight numbers of
full fuel, your weight etc as a reference to establish your baseline for
testing and measuring where the CG moves as the weight gets added and moves,
and the resulting stability. When flight training, even though we were the
same crew getting on the plane each day, we kept in practice by adding the
numbers up each time, just to make sure that we always stayed current with
calculating weight and balance, and we were always aware of being in the
envelope. You might even want to draw a graph/chart/picture of where you are
and where it moves to. It is kinda interesting to see.

I am very glad about the stability. A large part of that will be the fact
that it has a natural tendency to nose down, and adding the extra trim tab
will probably take care of the adjustment needs. I would not encourage a
remake of the horizontal stab for fear of either inducing instability or a
reverse situation of a nose up tendency. Unless you find that it is WAY off!
I found solo that I needed to add a little forward pressure, so I added that
bungy cord and it made it fun to fly solo, almost hands off. However with
passenger weight, it was once again, not enough and I had to use forward
pressure to keep nose down, even with the help of the bungy cord.

I will bet that you will find your stick centered or slight back
pressure/trim with two on board. I have pushed my engine 1/2" extra forward
to get just that kind of extra stability over what it was with the VW. I am
also going to have 2 batteries up front, one as the required IFR backup
electrical in order to power the electronics I will be using for IFR add on
certification later. The series of batteries for the late model Acura
Integras and Honda Civics are half the width of other car batteries and
rated much higher than motorcycle and tractor batteries. Also my alternator
is heavier, all adding to the weight I want to be forward to get exactly
what you have. If I give up some speed, fine. But you and me will not be
working our butts off keeping the plane in the same spot/altitude with that
kind of stability. And that goes A LONG WAY! I have a manual tab giving down
stick already and need more.

Hey if you will, will you email me the pictures of your version trim tab,
and motor? I can see them on your page, but want to be able to enlarge them
for better viewing. I am going to use your idea to add trim to my bird this
winter. I will use a manual one inside until then. I am first going to
convert to electric belly board actuation.

Colin Rainey
Independent Loan Officer
Branch 2375
Apex Mortgage Company