The problem with that approach is "hand-me-downs"

Joe tells Bill that his CG is 23 inches aft of the firewall.

Bill tells Fred CG should be 23 inches aft of firewall.

Fred has extended his fuse and has his firewall 4 inches further from the
wing, but does his calcs and works out that his CG is 27 inches aft...

Based on wing leading edge there is less chance of misunderstanding

Pete