90 degrees to airflow is what I was trying to tell you. I would not protrude
them, try to make them level with the cowling if you can. If you protrude them,
they will create turbulance and drag. You want the air to pass over the
openings of the tubes smoothly and that will create the vacumn.
Larry H.

from: Dan Heath
Sucking air - Oil temp problem

So, I decided to put two 2" aluminum tubes through the bottom of the cowl,
sort of like very short exhaust pipes, to which I will run my air ducts from
the plenum, behind the oil cooler.  These will protrude somewhat from the
bottom of the cowl, and I think that I should cut them at an angle to create
that "sucking" effect.

Now for the question.  Does anyone have an EDUCATED opinion on the angle, to
the air stream, at which I should cut these tubes to get the maximum "suck"?