The T18 canopy has to be almost closed when starting
the engine or it will slam shut and try to take your
head off!!  The airflow over the canopy shoves the
canopy forward making it almost impossible to reopen
after engine start.  I seriously doubt you could get
out of the plane without breaking the canopy if you
had an inflight problem and needed to bail out!!

Ron