VairHeads,

This is a quickie report (I'll let others fill in the details), but I'm back
from another excellent Corvair College.  The new format of WW building an
engine from start to finish with a running commentary was excellent,
resulting in a great education for engine builders (see
http://home.hiwaay.net/~langford/corvair/cc2006/061112326m.jpg ). I wish I'd
listened in on more of it, but also enjoyed talking to other pilots and
engine builders.  I met some more great folks, as usual.  I'm sure Grace
will work up a web page when she gets a chance.  Those of you who missed it
really missed a good one!

Those who noticed the exhaust leak on my number 4 cylinder may be relieved
to know that I made it back without succumbing to carbon monoxide poisoning.
I had a 40 mph headwind much of the way on the way back (and it would have
been worse had I gone to my usual 10,500'), so it took me 5 hours of flying
to get back home, although the weather was great otherwise. I occupied
myself with some testing at 7500', since it was a 59 degree OAT day.   Based
on what I learned today, I'm about ready to claim 162 mph as my "cruise"
speed at 75% power.

Something I'm on the hook for is a report on how the engine/prop/spinner
balancing went.  Ever since I put my homemade spinner/backplate on, I've
wanted to have it balanced.  Arnold Holmes hooked up his vibration equipment
and measured the vibration levels on my engine.  He started out at something
like .500 inches/second (don't ask me to explain this) and ended up around
.040" (I believe it was).  I was skeptical that I'd see much difference, as
I already thought it was a pretty smooth engine.  Once settled in at
altitude on the way back, it was absolutely amazing how smooth it was.  I
balanced  a little flashlight on end on top of the panel, and it stood there
for two hours until I dropped down into the turbulence to land at M38.  The
exhaust pulses on the bottom of the plane are now the primary source of
vibration, not the engine.  It feels so much better that I flew the last
hour with the engine wide open, and it was really singing.  It was less
buzzy and really felt happy at any rpm.  This is a real improvement, and I'm
not just saying that.

Other news is the cat's out of the bag on how bad my landings really are, at
least with a passenger and full fuel.  Fifty witnesses at least.  Nobody saw
the squeaker on this end, however...

Mark Langford, Harvest, AL
see homebuilt airplane at http://www.N56ML.com
email to N56ML "at" hiwaay.net