Brad and netters,
I have a belly board like Larry Flesner's and would not trade it for the
world!  My belly board acts as well or better than any set of flaps I have
used.  I found that on my first flight, that my KR2 would not slow down on
downwind, even at idle, and I thought I was going to have major problems
getting it to land.  When I deployed the belly board to first setting, 25
degrees relative to the bottom fuselage surface, I had a pronounced down
pitching moment, giving better view, and a definite slowing of the plane,
making me add power to maintain a constant glide. Once I turned base leg,
and added the 50 degree setting, my KR2 came down on rails, just as smooth
and straight, and constant descent. I was able to make an approach just like
I could in a Piper Seminole. I could not have done that without the belly
board, and stock flaps are just not effective enough.  Mark Langford and
several others have designed better flaps, I think Orma Robbins re-designed
both the flaps and the ailerons by moving their hinge points to the rear
spar to increase their overall area and effectiveness (see his picture of
"Tweety" in past KR Gatherings).

Brad if ground clearance is an issue, then mount it to the front/main spar.
Once into a landing position/attitude, you should have adequate clearance.
Mine is mounted to the rear spar, but I have Diehl conventional gear, so I
sit a little higher. Larry sits even higher with his longer legs ( I think,
sorry if I am wrong Larry ).

My point is this: the stock KR2 or KR2S develops plenty of lift, too much
when landing, more if Dan Diehl wing skins are used (longer wings).  When
landing the idea is for YOU to be able to determine when the flare occurs,
not the plane.  Mark L talks about it on his site and is the reason why he
used split flaps instead of Fowler or standard flaps (among other
considerations I know).  I want to develop a simple but effective speed
brake for the top of the wing also later. I used them on a Mooney and I fell
in love with them. But that is another story.  In my mind the speed
brake/belly board makes the KR not just more flyable, but safer. More pilots
are hurt or killed during takeoff and landing than any other phase of
flight, and possible all other phases of flight combined.  To be able to
make the landings more consistent, predictable, and slower/more manageable,
I see no reason not to have one.

As Larry F says, your results may vary (ALOT!)....

Colin Rainey
brokerpi...@bellsouth.net