It was back in 1982 or 83.  I was employed as a
professional photographer and I remember standing
in the offices of Rand Robinson Engineering and
chatting with a fellow aviation enthusiast about
his KR1 and the mods he was doing to it...it was
actually going to be his new design. .  He asked
me to take some photos of it and wondered if I
would do some air-to-air shots.  I was booked and
could not accommodate him. His name was Lance
Neibaur.  His design became very successful as the Lancair.  My how time flies.

I had been a fan of Ken's design before that
visit and chance encounter with Lance and have
always wanted to build a KR2.  Well, it appears
that the time and money have lined up.  My career
path changed a bit (although I still love to
shoot pix) as I developed my other love,
woodworking.  I spent many years as a master
cabinetmaker / furniture builder and from 1991-99
CEO of a marine products mfg company.  I’m still
in manufacturing, but in the RV industry (see
<http://www.jtrv.com/>www.jtrv.com).

I’m giving you this snippet of info about me to
gain your opinion about building my first plane…a
KR2S.  I live in Cottonwood, CA and the RV
business office and warehouse is in Paso Robles,
CA.  I only need to make the commute 1-3 times a
month, but the drive between the two is about 6.5
hours and I would sure love to fly it
instead.  I’m very near Redding, CA Municipal and
could fly into Paso Robles airport.

Would the KR2S be a good choice for me to do
this?  Or is the standard KR2 sufficient?  I'm
5'-10" and weigh 200lbs.  Does the useful load
include the weight of the fuel?  I see some stats
that list a 12 gal fuel tank and other 35- can you add some clarity to this?

Also, I would like to have a retractable gear
plane, but I don’t see anything on the company
web site about a retractable kit option, although
they say it can be configured that way.  Do you
feel that my skills as a master woodworker are
sufficient to build  KR design?  I’ve got a 30’ x
40’ shop at home with 10’ ceilings equipped with commercial woodworking tools.

I just joined the forum.  Thanks for letting me
bend your ear, when you've got the time, I’d love your feedback and guidance.

Kind regards,

Lou Hecker
Sales and Marketing Director
JT’s RV Accessories-Enhanced Comfort and Stability for your RV Lifestyle
<file:///\\www.jtrv.com>www.jtrv.com
Lou’s Desk:                  530-347-3637
Lou’s Fax:                    530-347-4560
Email:                           lhec...@jtrv.com
Corporate Offices:        805-434-3112
Toll Free (USA):          1-888-587-JTRV (5878)

For your security this Message has been checked for Viruses as a courtesy of
Com-Pair Services!