>>>>    jscott.pi...@juno.com writes:
I would still ask myself the same question.  If this was a  certified
plane, would the FAA require a 337.

 That is probably the best statement for decision making I've  heard.
 As far as the FSDO and the insurance companies are concerned, it's  just a
CYA for you as well as them
 Even as stuffy as they may seem sometimes, it's not a bad idea to get  to
know the guys down at the local FSDO, they even smile and tell fishing  stories
if you take them to lunch.
 I'm starting the paper trail to get approval for a Continetal IO-240
installed on a Luscombe and the first thing I did was call the FSDO and invite
them
to chat about the possiblity after we had lunch. Probably saved me a few
hours right off the git go. We also chatted about my Sonerai and a friends
Bearhawk that are under construction.
 Orma, I should come up and see your plane one of these days.
 Ed Larsen
 Larsen Airpark (43G)