All of the configurations should be equally safe, if properly built and if
the pilot is comfortable with it.

If you are already comfortable with a certain configuration and can
replicate that in the KR, then that is the one that you may prefer and in
that case, it would be a matter of preference.

I have flown the center stick, and the dual stick, in a KR.  I cursed the
center stick every time I flew it.  I found it to be uncomfortable, and most
inconvenient.  I think that I would feel the same about a side stick.  Also,
the side stick, eliminates the possibility of the passenger ever flying the
plane.  Both of those, require that you use a particular hand, to fly the
plane, and the KR, most KR's, need to be flown, because, in most cases, it
is not a "hands off" airplane.  Whenever you need the other hand for
something, you are in a bind.  Also, the center stick requires some kind of
arm rest, which is difficult to work into the construction.

The dual stick, solves all of these issues, is easy to build, and can be
flown by either the passenger or pilot.  Even if I planned to be the only
one to ever fly the plane, I would put in the dual stick due to it's ease of
use, and in case I ever wanted to sell the plane.

In MY OPINION, the two MAJOR blunders in the original KR design, were the
retractable gear (term used loosely), and the center stick and I will never
build a KR with either.  My first KR was built with both, and the retract
was replaced with a fixed gear, and is now being retrofitted with a dual
stick.  This KR was built the same way, but was retrofitted, before it was
ever even considered by me, for completion.

See N64KR at http://KRBuilder.org - Then click on the pics
See you at the 2007 - KR Gathering
There is a time for building and a time for FLYING and the time for Flying
has begun.
Daniel R. Heath - Lexington, SC